Tuesday, November 3, 2009

2-0


For the last month I have been playing “The Grocery Game,” which is a guide to buying groceries at rock bottom prices, and the general idea is to buy what’s on sale while also using coupons. Since I love organization, I put myself in charge of keeping the coupons in order and making the grocery list then my roommate and I split the cost. It's so much cheaper to buy stuff together. Anyway, I have been averaging a savings of $30 a week but yesterday was different. I could just feel it. I went into Kroger with my crazy long list, a pile of coupons, and I’m not going to lie…I was nervous. If I didn’t shop correctly, I would end up spending way too much money.

My total bill came to $188.11 after my 50+ items were rung up. I started to stress out a little when that number popped up on the screen because our entire monthly budget is $200. I just had to remember that my Kroger card and coupons hadn’t been scanned, and once they were, the final cost came to $78.46!!! That’s right. I saved $109.65 for this week’s worth of groceries. I think I secretly expected the cashier to congratulate me on what a great job I did and for confetti to fall on my head, but instead she just handed me my receipt.

Well I get really excited about saving money, so before I knew it, I had walked out of the store, raised my arm in the air and yelled, “I beat Kroger!” Yes, my roommate made fun of me. Yes, I probably got some strange looks. No, I didn't care. It felt great saving almost 60% on my groceries, and the people in the parking lot needed to celebrate with me.

After grocery shopping and my annual Monday night dinner with friends, I had a softball game to play. My team (who loses more often than not) ended up winning 16-1. It was like having batting practice without the hassle of having to field your teammate’s balls and was a fabulous way to end my day.

I’m 2-0 and loving it!

4 comments:

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

I have 2 friends that wrote on Facebook about how awesome they did with grocery game at Kroger this week. I have done it before but never had great luck with the things I wanted to buy.

and83 said...

hahaha!!! I love you and your quirkiness ;o)

Jessica said...

Can we have a phone date soon so you can teach me your secrets? I tried the grocery game and found that it didn't really help me that much...maybe I did it wrong...

Unknown said...

so glad you "get it" and are good at it. I cant wait to give you my list and coupons and card and send you out for me. You are up for that aren't you? If not, you can keep the twins while I go....hehe!